Monday 28 May 2012

Introduction

My name is Sarah and I am 35 years old. I live in Wales and am married with two children - a 7 year old daughter and an 8 year old son who was diagnosed with Autism Spectrum Disorder when he was 5. I’m sure I will write his story in time, but this blog isn’t about him…it’s about me.

My entire life I have felt different to everyone else, but until my son was diagnosed on the autistic spectrum, I didn’t understand why. It was through my research on the subject to try and understand him better that I stumbled across a complete description of myself, including some of my deepest thoughts never shared with anyone. Yet there it all was in black and white.

Last year I was diagnosed with Autistic Spectrum Disorder on the Aspergers end and for the first time in 35 years I am beginning to make sense of my mind, my feelings and my explosive reactions. I began to write this blog three years ago and it is about my journey of discovery as I try to make sense of my life for the first time. I hope that it will be of interest to others who may be going through the same thing, or who know someone who is. I also hope that friends and family will read it and hopefully they will understand me a little better too.

No comments:

Post a Comment